Have I mentioned that I love my twitter network? A few days ago a joint post from Chris Betcher & Sue Waters was written about picassa vrs flickr born out of tweets on twitter. I’d already mentioned in a previous post about using flickr more in the classroom this year, so flickr was already on my mind.
This morning on twitter started by @Riptide_Furse …………………
………….. and ended in a skype call between Fred and myself where he shared what Flickr tools he presented to his teachers at the workshop and their various ways of being used.
Here are just some of the things Fred so generously shared with me ………
This site is full of great tools to use with flickr photos. You don’t need to sign up (athough you can if you’d like) and within a few minutes you can create the most professional looking motivational poster. Here’s my 2 minute effort:
Suggestions for use in the classroom:
- Have students take a photo that represents school motto
- Use Jigsaw / Mosaic Maker with photos from around the school/community representing maths concepts (ie Shapes, angles etc)
- Use Warholizer for Start of Year Activity with student photos
- Spice up class blog with Cartooniser, Framer, Billboard, Slideshow, Writer (list is almost endless possibilities with these gadgets!)
Use in the classroom?
We talked this over for a bit and decided that you could have some major conversations about which photos would be easy or hard to un-bedfuddlr.
- What would make a picture harder to organise back to its original state?
- Fun problem solving activity to do for fast finishers
- An activity on a rainy day
- A taskboard activity
You don’t need to sign up (but you can if you’d like) and within 2 minutes I managed to create this …………
A museum-photo of our Class Mascot Kawekakea meeting Ewan McIntosh at ULearn07 earlier this year.
Created with dumpr.net – fun with your photos
Most of the tools in Dumpr.net are similar to fd’s flickr toys but there are a couple of different ones. Don’t mix up the url with Dumpr.com like I did –
Use in the classroom?
- Use Photo in Art Museum, Jigsaw, Make photos look old, Stone Mosaic, for Presentations, blog posts etc
- Use Photo to Sketch, Alien Vision for creating online avatars, profile photos etc
- Use Photo inside a photo for problem solving puzzles
4. Other Possibilities for the Classroom
- If you’re looking for ways to work REAL LIFE editing into writing
What’s wrong with these pictures Apostrophes Quote abuse
- Spell with Flickr
- Animated GIFs with Flickr
Got heaps of time on your hands? You could check out this long, long, long list of The Great Flickr Tools Collection!
And if that wasn’t enough, those great folks from Commoncraft have released this:
Online Photo Sharing in Plain English
[kml_flashembed movie="http://youtube.com/v/vPU4awtuTsk" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]